Modeling and numerical simulation
Computer-based simulation models for decision support systems play an increasingly important role in environmental risk analysis and environmental management. A major advantage of numerical simulation models is the consideration of different scenarios that would be in reality impossible, expensive or time consuming.
To these ends, gaiac has been developing models for use in the analysis and management of aquatic and terrestrial systems and in the risk assessment of pesticides.
Currently the following types of models are available:
A Process-based numerical modelling
- Fate of pesticides in food chains
- Individual-based population models (IBMs)
- Aquatic ecosystem models for standing waters
- Spatially explicit ecosystem models in landscape ecology
B Rule-based land-use models
- Vulnerability analysis in the field of landscape planning
- Benefit-cost analysis tools for sustainable settlement development